Koala Plans of Management (KPoM)
Arbor Ecological has sound experience in koala habitat assessment, koala survey and preparation of Koala Management Plans (KPoM) in Northern NSW. Our field assessment methods use recognised Koala assessment techniques to determine Koala use of land.
We recommend best practice methods to avoid, minimise and mitigate impacts where developments and activities have potential to impact koalas. As part of Michael’s development assessment work with Lismore and Byron Councils he reviewed and made recommendations on numerous Koala Plans of Management as part of development and rezoning applications.
State Environment Planning Policy (SEPP) 44 Protection of Koala Habitat provides the basis for assessing land as Koala habitat in NSW. Land with suitable koala food trees in areas where koalas occur is regarded as Potential Koala Habitat, an area actively used or occupied is Core Koala Habitat. Koala impact assessments are also required for proposed developments in Koala habitat in QLD, NSW and the ACT under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation (EPBC) Act.
Koala management services:
- Koala survey and habitat assessment – Spot Assessment Technique (SAT)
- Significant Koala impact assessments (State and Commonwealth) and Commonwealth referrals under the EPBC Act where necessary
- SEPP 44 Koala habitat assessments
- Koala habitat mapping
- Koala Plans of Management (KPoM)
Arbor Ecological continues to work on koala habitat assessment and management projects including:
- Assessment of power-line trenching through koala habitat, Illuka
- Ecologically sensitive areas along the proposed Pacific Highway route from Wardell to Coolgardie, via Ballina
- Review Koala Plans of Management for Byron & Lismore Shire Councils as part of development and rezoning applications
- Koala habitat assessment for Ocean Shores playing fields development
- Koala habitat assessments for land subdivisions at Goonellabah and Tregeagle via Lismore, Meerschaumvale via Ballina, Kangaroo Creek, Ewingsdale via Byron Bay, and Waterview Heights via Grafton
Click on the photos below for more information on our Koala Management projects, or to discuss your project requirements please contact us.